Several games have already been moved or canceled.
The Category 4 Hurricane Florence was approaching the Carolinas and Virginia early this week, leading government officials to order a million people to evacuate. States of emergency were declared in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia.
The college football season’s intersection with hurricane season often creates challenges for universities and governments. When thousands of people converge on stadiums as storms approach, the events take up a lot of law-enforcement and public-safety resources. They can also create additional traffic in or near evacuation zones.
In 2018, we’re tracking game changes related to Florence below.
Game changes already announced
- Boston College at Wake Forest moved up to 5:30 p.m. ET Thursday, from 7:30.
- No. 14 West Virginia at NC State is postponed with no reschedule announced yet.
- UCF at North Carolina is postponed with no reschedule announced yet. UCF says that’s unlikely.
- Campbell at Coastal Carolina moved from Saturday to Wednesday at 2 p.m. ET. The site changed from CCU’s stadium in Conway, SC, to Campbell’s in Buies Creek, NC. CCU is now the de-facto away team.
- Norfolk State at Liberty is postponed until Dec. 1, unless Norfolk State makes the FCS playoffs, which is unlikely.
- Elon at William & Mary is postponed with no reschedule date yet.
- Charleston Southern at The Citadel is postponed with no reschedule announced yet.
- Tennessee State at Hampton is postponed with no reschedule yet.
Division I games planned in either the Carolinas or Virginia
The storm isn’t expected to hit every part of these states evenly, but athletic directors in all of them will watch Florence’s movements while making decisions on game times and locations. The storm could also affect games not taking place in these states.
- Southern Miss at Appalachian State, Saturday in Boone, N.C.
- Old Dominion at Charlotte, Saturday in Charlotte, N.C.
- Marshall at South Carolina, Saturday in Columbia, S.C.
- Georgia Southern at No. 2 Clemson, Saturday in Clemson, S.C.
- ECU at No. 13 Virginia Tech, Saturday in Blacksburg, Va.
- Ohio at Virginia, Saturday in Charlottesville, Va.
- Western Carolina at Gardner-Webb, Saturday in Boiling Springs, N.C.
- Guilford at Davidson, Saturday in Davidson, N.C.
- Stetson at Presbyterian, Saturday in Clinton, S.C.
- Colgate at Furman, Saturday in Greenville, S.C.
- NC Central at South Carolina State, Saturday in Orangeburg, S.C.
- East Tennessee State at VMI, Saturday in Lexington, Va.
- St. Francis (Pa.) at Richmond, Saturday in Richmond, Va.
- Robert Morris at James Madison, Saturday in Harrisonburg, Va.